Monday 5 October 2015

Monday not-so-blue

How is it that after planning to do nothing at the weekend, you can still end up rushed off of your feet and needing a break by the time Monday rolls around?

Regardless of how much I try to stay still it just doesn't happen. But I'd have been bored otherwise so no more complaining.

I started my weekend with a viewing of Everest, the new Jason Clarke film based on true events. Although it skimped on character development a little, and crammed the story into 2 hours (it could have been 3), it played out well. I won't be in a rush to watch it again though, as I left the cinema crying my eyes out with mascara on every part of my face bar my eyes. I don't usually cry easily at films (I'm more of a book-crier), but the true-story nature of this one got to me.

On to cheerier things. After a morning wandering around the shops, we decided to stop off at a new patisserie that has opened up in town. Delices can be found nestled into the side of The Art Centre in Bedford, Delices is described on its website as "the authentic Parisian boulangerie-patisserie in Bedford" (http://www.delices.co.uk/index.php). It's a lovely space, light and airy, with a vintage feel. China sugar bowls with flower patterns, vintage mugs and cups, and an array of sweet and savoury bakes in their counter. I've been wanting to visit for a while, so was pleased to finally have the opportunity. We caught it after the lunchtime rush, so were able to find a table and order quickly. Service was friendly, and the food looked delicious. Rustic french breads, delicate pastries and intricate cakes fill the counter, making choosing somewhat difficult! I decided on the Le Flan Parisien (a vanilla custard tart) and a latte, my partner in crime going for a macchiato and chocolate confection whose name has slipped my mind. Both sweet treats were gorgeous, and it's one of the best coffees I've had in awhile. The flavours were perfectly balanced and the atmosphere was spot on. The Art Centre is the perfect place for this new addition, meaning that after a meander around the shop, you can rest your shop-tormented legs and treat yourself to something naughty. Now I know how good it is, I have a feeling I'll be needing to visit the gym more!

Once I had consumed my body weight in pastry, I collected some green tomatoes to make chutney that didn't happen (it will. Eventually.) and headed home to watch the rugby. Disappointing to say the least but the better team won, we'll do better next time. I'll be visiting the MK Dons stadium this Tuesday to watch Fiji and Uruguay so I'm still caught up in rugby fever!

Sunday was cleaning and cooking day, before going to see Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender. I am a huge Shakespeare fan, and the acting from everyone involved was brilliant, but something about this just didn't do it for me. It has taken a battle-fuelled, bloodthirsty play and stuck it on one setting. The feel of it plateaued incredibly early, and eventually felt like it was going through the motions. But the acting is spectacular, especially from Fassbender.

Now it's back to work and another busy week. No rest for the wicked as the saying goes. But with so much to look forward to this week, Monday isn't seeming so bad. I'll be writing up about tomorrow's rugby so keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment